toolbar powered by Conduit

Visit The New Etater!

Forum is moving to new host!

Etater Public Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Sheriff Turns to Tinted Windows to Resolve Deputy's Sex Rumors

One tater reports...that the sheriff is having the cruisers fitted with heavy tinting. This should allow a great deal more privacy inside the vehicle. Now "coverup" comes with tinted windows.

By the way, David hasn't yet reported back about the Jan 20th sexual assault on Darla Piland. What happened, Col.?

Re: Sheriff Turns to Tinted Windows to Resolve Deputy's Sex Rumors

Let's see:...that would be six months. Is this what the sheriff mean't by "Give me a little Time." State police reports take that much time?

there is a law on how much tint can be on a window ..are they above the LAW????

It is a shame that we are paying for TINT to go on ANY police car! That is a waste of money for sure.

Yes, in Pocahontas County! Even the sheriff breaks the law!

I know a few people that had to remove there dark tint before they could get a sticker.Wonder who puts the sticker's on their rides?

This crap makes me sick. Totten thinks this is all a game and he can take advantage of young underaged girls his whole life and get away with it. Why don't some of his past victim's come forward and slap a lawsuit on him.

swimmer
I know a few people that had to remove there dark tint before they could get a sticker.Wonder who puts the sticker's on their rides?

Maybe Johnny Dean, his daughter works at the Tax Office.

Aren't all the cop car's windows tinted in case of someone trying to hurt either the officer or the person in custody? That is what I always thought.

Just found out the tinting is occurring post-sale. The cruisers are being refitted after they have been inspected. The issue of reinspection will come up next time around. To remove the tinting, will require some work. Will they get an exemption? Does the sheriff's office have to comply with the law?

Here's the West Virginia Tint Law:

West Virginia Window Tint Law
West Virginia Tint Law Enacted: 1991
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN WEST VIRGINIA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In West Virginia, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 5 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.

Back Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.

Rear Window Must allow more than 35% of light in.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN WEST VIRGINIA?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows Must not be more than 20% reflective.

Back Side Windows Must not be more than 20% reflective.

OTHER WEST VIRGINIA RULES AND REGULATIONS
Restricted Colors The tint color(s) of RED AMBER YELLOW are not legal by state law.

Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.

Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film need to certify the film they sell in the state. Ask your dealer if they are using ceritified film.

Sticker Requirements The sticker to identify legal tinting is required between the film & glass on each tinted window.

Medical Exemption State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.

PARKERSBURG - West Virginia drivers may tint their windows for many reasons, but if the tint falls below 35 percent light transmittance, they may find themselves paying a hefty fine.

"Window tint generally keeps a car cooler, and a lot of people think it looks better," said Capt. D.G. Barker with the Parkersburg Police Department. "But if the tint is too dark, it can cause problems. It makes officers wonder when they walk up to a car and they can't see inside."

West Virginia law states that all side windows and rear windows on cars must allow at least 35 percent of light through. Tint on the front windshield cannot go below the indicated ASI line. The law does not apply to SUVs and trucks, or drivers with a signed affidavit from a physician or optometrist.

Barker said he has not noticed any big problems with illegal tint in Parkersburg. This may be due to yearly vehicle inspections in West Virginia, which check for tint violations.

In Ohio, the laws on window tint are different.

The front side windows must allow at least 50 percent of light through, but the back side windows and rear window can be any darkness. Windshield tint cannot extend below the ASI line.

Violations of tint laws in West Virginia and Ohio can lead to a $140 fine. Officers use tint strips or electronic light meters to check light transmittance.

Sgt. Todd McDonald with the Ohio State Highway Patrol said illegal window tinting in Ohio seems to be on the rise.

"We are seeing it a lot here. I could probably go out and write 20 tickets in eight hours if all I did was look for illegal tint," McDonald said. "And we definitely enforce the law here because of the potential dangers."

Dark windows might allow people to conceal weapons or drugs, and they can be a danger if officers cannot see inside the vehicle. "Anything can happen at a traffic stop, so it makes it even more dangerous if the windows are too dark," he said.

Too-dark windows can also limit drivers' vision, especially at night.

"I've seen people hit poles and fire hydrants when they are backing up because they can't see out of their windows," McDonald said.

Joe Lowers, owner of The Cutting Edge in Parkersburg, has been in the window tinting business for 25 years. He said window tint can provide many benefits to drivers, when used within safety regulations.

"Tinting is basically an art. There are those who know what they're doing, and some who don't," he said. "People get their windows tinted for a lot of reasons, but the number one reason is for the UV ray and heat blockage. With tint, your car is half as hot. People actually save energy because they don't have to cool their cars as much."

If a window gets shattered in an accident, the film used to tint windows can hold the glass together, preventing injuries from shattered windows, Lowers said.

"I think 35 percent is a good number when it comes to tint. It reduces glare, and you can see out the windows at night. Anything below 20 to 30 percent is usually too dark, especially when driving in the dark," Lowers said.

A problem with enforcing tint violations with light meters comes from inaccurate readings. Lowers said the lower-end meters can often be inconsistent, giving conflicting readings for the same window. "Some of the cheaper meters can be up to three percentage points off," he said.

In addition, window manufacturers sometimes use a dye which can add a slight tint. When combined with a professional tint film, the tint may be slightly darker than the driver intended.

"Make sure to do the research before tinting your windows," Lowers said. "And make sure you know the law in your state."

I guess until the adjustments are made you can use the tint of the windows to know when you have an unmarked police on your behind, or coming your direction.

I think the problem is that we have a mistaken concept of the sheriff's Dept.. The Sheiff is the chief tax collecter which is a large basis for his salary.

He has a group of deputies that go out and write traffic violations but only if you are an "out of towner" or if you are going to or coming from work.

That is about the extent of sheriff dept law enforcement.

no the cops do not have to abide by the tinting laws much the same as they do not have to abide by the posted speed limit. they can give you any number of excuses as to why they dont have to. not saying its right ,just saying is all.

totton wont be a cop forever now will he

David, we haven't forgotten Stilwell; have you?

Then what happens?? It goes to Donna and she does what? Oh, I know put on the shelf for 4 yrs.

Donna isn't in her office enough to even know what is going on!

Well let me tell you there is a law on tinted windows. Its funny how they can get by with whatever they want because they are, "the law". I know a few people who have been pulled over for there windows. You see them traveling on the roads over the speed limits but let us do it and there right on our ass with the lights. Ive seen and heard of matters in the upper part of the county where they are out to get certain vehicles, jealousy i guess. My god leave those kids alone, what are they doing that is any wronger than what you all are doing. Lying under oath. Covering up a serious matter as if it never happend. Its been seen, they know its going on, GET A LIFE AND A REAL JOB, cause your no law enforcement. I mean is the MARINE **** supposed to scare someone. Always remember what you do cause one day you wont have the badge to hide behind.

contact e-tater@hotmail.com

Top And Bottom Banners Available, Contact Us For Details!